A quick pre-holiday market wrap up, for those plugging away ahead of tomorrow's holiday-shortened trading sessions. News from the close of today's trading, and more, follows.
1. Reuters and Bear Mountain Bull summarize the day's trading.
2. US home prices collapse at near-Depression rate.
Barry Ritholtz reviews the housing data and the NAR spin.
3. Merrill Lynch economist David Rosenberg thinks US commercial real estate is "the next bailout".
Washington Post has the details on commercial real estate investors seeking government aid.
4. "Sneaky ways you're lured to shop" - Forbes on Christmas sales.
5. Iceland boils over 'like Chernobyl' in civil unrest over economy.
6. Buffeted quants are still in demand.
7. James Grant: Fed's money printing carries dire consequences.
8. Financial Crisis: The Greatest Gift in a Generation.
Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, and a great holiday to all of our readers.
Check back in with us over the Christmas holiday. Markets will be closed, but we may have a few fun holiday items to share with you, and a little gift for fans of stock market lore. Until then, enjoy the holidays!