Skip to main content

I read the news today (oh boy...)

Taking a glance at some of the news stories today, we've got celebrities, nationalization and human rights as some of today's themes. We'll let Google News sell Tom Cruise above the fold, I want to take a look at some of the stories further down the page.

Does Democracy ensure peace, human rights?

Here's one from the VOA News site headlined, "US Vice-President Criticizes Russia's Human Rights Record". Cheney has taken the now widely recognized idea that Russia is using its energy supplies as a political weapon and used it as the fulcrum for his attack on Russia's turn towards authoritarianism. Quite right, but I'd say that's more than a little ironic coming from a man who has stood behind our country's relentless march to war against enemies real or imagined, helping to ensure the resulting decay in liberty.

Illegal detentions of suspected terrorists or "enemy combatants", secret courts and prisons, a widely publicized disregard for principles of prisoner treatment as set forth by Geneva Conventions, unconstitutional pre-emptive war declarations, programs for spying on American citizens, must I go on? A decent overview of this administration's actions in a piece such as this one, by Robert Parry, should put things into perspective.

Senate passes spending bill

Elsewhere in the news, the U.S. Senate has approved a $109 billion emergency spending measure, largely related to the war and operations spending in Iraq and Afghanistan. There are some notable chunks of money earmarked for other causes - here's a passage from Bloomberg's report on the subject:

The legislation provides $66 billion for operations in Iraq and Afghanistan; $28 billion for Hurricane Katrina related- relief; and as much as $4 billion in farm assistance. It would also provide $650 million for port security, $1.1 billion for the Gulf Coast seafood industry and $1.9 billion for border security programs.

The total figure exceeds the $94.5 billion that the Bush administration is willing to spend, but I say, "hey, what's a few billions between friends?". By the way, Iraq & Afghan war costs have totaled $439 billion to date, according to World Peace Herald.

Kind of differs from the official govt. estimates I remember flashing across the news tickers in the run up to the Iraq war. I believe at the time (late 2002), the official estimates had the Iraq war costs pegged at $9-$13 billion and this was counter to an independant organization's estimate of at least $100-$200 billion in total war costs. I've got to retrace those figures.

Bolivia

Bolivia's nationalization of the gas sector has mostly gone according to plan, with "renegotiations" being scheduled between the country and the major foreign oil & gas companies that are invested in its resources. However, Petrobras seems to not want to play a part in this unfolding drama. According to a recent report by Forbes, Petrobras chief Gabrielli is suspending the company's business in Bolivia.

So far Repsol seems to be biding their time and playing the game. We'll see how this plays out. I wonder if some of these companies seem to think it might be worth their while to bite the bullet and wait out the situation. Unfortunately for them, I think the nationalizing countries will want to try and hold on to the resource rights as long as commodity prices remain high. That seems to be the pattern in which these resource grabs/nationalization efforts play out, at least to my limited knowledge. I wonder what an industry insider would say. Perhaps I'll have to try and find one and get an opinion.

Popular posts from this blog

How to "Pull the Trigger" on Your Trading Ideas

In our last post, I quoted hedge fund manager, Jim Leitner on the importance of following up on your investment ideas.  Today I'd like to follow up and share some thoughts on how you can learn to consistently "pull the trigger" on your best trading setups and investing ideas. In order to help you do that, we'll take from the best and offer up key insights from interviews with top traders and trading psychologists like Alan Farley, Brett Steenbarger, and Doug Hirschhorn .  Now before we get to their key insights on overcoming trading anxiety and pulling the trigger on your trading ideas, let's remember what Jim Leitner said in his interview: "Learn to love to listen to people and when you hear something interesting, follow up on it. Don't just think, "Well that's an interesting idea" only to find out a year later that the company you could've bought shares in is now up 500-fold. You never want to say woulda, coulda, shoulda...

Market Wizard, Steve Clark on Trading: Grow Your Equity Curve

Trading wisdom recap: Steve Clark , founder of Omni Partners, was featured in Jack Schwager's 2012 book, Hedge Fund Market Wizards .  Clark's interview with Schwager provided us with some valuable trading insights; "Lessons from Hedge Fund Market Wizards: Steve Clark" was one of our most popular posts ever. If I had to pick my favorite sections from Clark's chapter, it would be boiled down to these two concepts: "Do more of what works (and less of what doesn't work)" and "Manage your equity curve". Here's his full quote on the supreme importance of growing your equity curve :  "Your job as a trader is to make the line of your equity curve go from bottom left to top right. That's it. Don't get hung up on other supposed "mandates". Protect your capital and the direction of that equity line. "   I will leave you with one last series of quotes from Steve Clark's interview with Jack Schwager. ...

Seth Klarman: Margin of Safety (pdf)

Welcome, readers! Signup for free email updates at the Finance Trends Newsletter . Update: PDF links removed due to DMCA notice. Please see our extensive Klarman book notes below. New visitors, please check the Finance Trends home page for all new posts. Here's something for anyone who has been trying to get a look at Seth Klarman's now famous, and out of print, 1991 investment book, Margin of Safety .  My knowledge of value investing is pretty much limited to what I've read in Ben Graham's The Intelligent Investor (the book which originally popularized the investment concept of a "Margin of Safety"), so check out the wisdom from Seth Klarman and other investing greats in our related posts below. You can also go straight to Ronald Redfield's Margin of Safety book notes .    Related posts: 1. Seth Klarman interviews and Margin of Safety notes     2. Seth Klarman: Lessons from 2008 3. Investing Lessons from Sir John Templeton 4. ...