Skip to main content

Self-education and the school of experience

You may find this next quote about self-education personally relevant, but then again, you may not. From Claude C. Hopkins' autobiography, My Life in Advertising... 

"...To poverty I owe the fact that I never went to college. I spent those four years in the school of experience instead of a school of theory.  I know nothing of value which an advertising man can be taught in college. I know of many things taught there which he will need to unlearn before he can steer any practical course."  

Having attended college (for a time), and from my own experiences and observations, I know that this passage rings true. You could substitute the words "advertising man" with the titles "artist", "writer", "economist", or "trader" and still get the same meaning.

You may have heard many entrepreneurs or autodidacts make similar remarks about the value of self-guided education and experience. You may also have heard many experienced, degreed professionals lamenting the need to unlearn much of what they were taught in universities. 

Someone mentioned Claude Hopkins in a book review I read today and I found my way to the aforementioned memoir from 1927. I thought I'd share it here with you. Hopefully, it will spur your thoughts on the value of formal education vs. "school of hard knocks".

Maybe we'll find some more chestnuts of wisdom inside. In fact, I'm sure we will, as the above passage came straight from chapter one! 

In the meantime, can you think of some important lessons (business, trading, creative, or otherwise) you've learned through self-guided education or your own passage through the school of hard knocks?   



Related posts: 

1. Marc Faber's advice to young people and the meaning of "success".

2. Michael Bigger: Starting Over.

Popular posts from this blog

How to "Pull the Trigger" on Your Trading Ideas

In our last post, I quoted hedge fund manager, Jim Leitner on the importance of following up on your investment ideas.  Today I'd like to follow up and share some thoughts on how you can learn to consistently "pull the trigger" on your best trading setups and investing ideas. In order to help you do that, we'll take from the best and offer up key insights from interviews with top traders and trading psychologists like Alan Farley, Brett Steenbarger, and Doug Hirschhorn .  Now before we get to their key insights on overcoming trading anxiety and pulling the trigger on your trading ideas, let's remember what Jim Leitner said in his interview: "Learn to love to listen to people and when you hear something interesting, follow up on it. Don't just think, "Well that's an interesting idea" only to find out a year later that the company you could've bought shares in is now up 500-fold. You never want to say woulda, coulda, shoulda...

Market Wizard, Steve Clark on Trading: Grow Your Equity Curve

Trading wisdom recap: Steve Clark , founder of Omni Partners, was featured in Jack Schwager's 2012 book, Hedge Fund Market Wizards .  Clark's interview with Schwager provided us with some valuable trading insights; "Lessons from Hedge Fund Market Wizards: Steve Clark" was one of our most popular posts ever. If I had to pick my favorite sections from Clark's chapter, it would be boiled down to these two concepts: "Do more of what works (and less of what doesn't work)" and "Manage your equity curve". Here's his full quote on the supreme importance of growing your equity curve :  "Your job as a trader is to make the line of your equity curve go from bottom left to top right. That's it. Don't get hung up on other supposed "mandates". Protect your capital and the direction of that equity line. "   I will leave you with one last series of quotes from Steve Clark's interview with Jack Schwager. ...

Seth Klarman: Margin of Safety (pdf)

Welcome, readers! Signup for free email updates at the Finance Trends Newsletter . Update: PDF links removed due to DMCA notice. Please see our extensive Klarman book notes below. New visitors, please check the Finance Trends home page for all new posts. Here's something for anyone who has been trying to get a look at Seth Klarman's now famous, and out of print, 1991 investment book, Margin of Safety .  My knowledge of value investing is pretty much limited to what I've read in Ben Graham's The Intelligent Investor (the book which originally popularized the investment concept of a "Margin of Safety"), so check out the wisdom from Seth Klarman and other investing greats in our related posts below. You can also go straight to Ronald Redfield's Margin of Safety book notes .    Related posts: 1. Seth Klarman interviews and Margin of Safety notes     2. Seth Klarman: Lessons from 2008 3. Investing Lessons from Sir John Templeton 4. ...