Skip to main content

Banned in China

I was checking out a recent article by Marc Faber over at the Daily Reckoning's Australia site, when I glanced in the sidebar and noticed the title of one of their recent posts.

The title read, "The Daily Reckoning Has Been Banned in China", and it began with the following information:

We are sorry to inform you that if you are in China you will not be able to read this. We’ve recently learned that the Daily Reckoning Australia web site is banned in China.

They went on to reproduce a screenshot from a site called, Greatfirewallofchina.org, which claims to show a real-time test of web addresses censored in China. I decided to try the site for myself yesterday (and once more today) to see how it works.

Of the ten or twelve URLs I entered into their test bar, I'd say half were blocked and half were available. It was an interesting test; Wall St. Journal's web site was blocked, while The Financial Times home page sailed through with no problem.

The same pattern held for other similarly focused financial sites; Financial Sense Online was blocked while Safehaven.com was available. This is interesting, because the two sites are not only similarly styled, they even carry some of the exact same content from writers contributing to both sites (myself included).

So is it site content that prompts this web censoring, or is there something else that trips the censorship alarm on these blocked sites?

I decided to run the test for our site. It turns out Finance Trends Matter is blocked, so I decided to try a few other Blogger hosted blogs as well.

The other Blogger sites, including a value investing blog and a blog devoted to fashion (decadent!), seemed to be available, so we know it isn't strictly a problem with "blogspot" domain names. I see from the comments on Daily Reckoning's post that they tried this angle and found the same.

The test does not appear to be a definitive, last-word statement on which sites are blocked and which are available (they note that the "testing is only based on one server on one location in China"), but for now it appears we are "banned in D.C.", I mean China.

Note: If anyone is reading this site from China, please drop us a line and let us know. We'd love to know more about how you are accessing information over there. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

How to "Pull the Trigger" on Your Trading Ideas

In our last post, I quoted hedge fund manager, Jim Leitner on the importance of following up on your investment ideas.  Today I'd like to follow up and share some thoughts on how you can learn to consistently "pull the trigger" on your best trading setups and investing ideas. In order to help you do that, we'll take from the best and offer up key insights from interviews with top traders and trading psychologists like Alan Farley, Brett Steenbarger, and Doug Hirschhorn .  Now before we get to their key insights on overcoming trading anxiety and pulling the trigger on your trading ideas, let's remember what Jim Leitner said in his interview: "Learn to love to listen to people and when you hear something interesting, follow up on it. Don't just think, "Well that's an interesting idea" only to find out a year later that the company you could've bought shares in is now up 500-fold. You never want to say woulda, coulda, shoulda...

Market Wizard, Steve Clark on Trading: Grow Your Equity Curve

Trading wisdom recap: Steve Clark , founder of Omni Partners, was featured in Jack Schwager's 2012 book, Hedge Fund Market Wizards .  Clark's interview with Schwager provided us with some valuable trading insights; "Lessons from Hedge Fund Market Wizards: Steve Clark" was one of our most popular posts ever. If I had to pick my favorite sections from Clark's chapter, it would be boiled down to these two concepts: "Do more of what works (and less of what doesn't work)" and "Manage your equity curve". Here's his full quote on the supreme importance of growing your equity curve :  "Your job as a trader is to make the line of your equity curve go from bottom left to top right. That's it. Don't get hung up on other supposed "mandates". Protect your capital and the direction of that equity line. "   I will leave you with one last series of quotes from Steve Clark's interview with Jack Schwager. ...

Seth Klarman: Margin of Safety (pdf)

Welcome, readers! Signup for free email updates at the Finance Trends Newsletter . Update: PDF links removed due to DMCA notice. Please see our extensive Klarman book notes below. New visitors, please check the Finance Trends home page for all new posts. Here's something for anyone who has been trying to get a look at Seth Klarman's now famous, and out of print, 1991 investment book, Margin of Safety .  My knowledge of value investing is pretty much limited to what I've read in Ben Graham's The Intelligent Investor (the book which originally popularized the investment concept of a "Margin of Safety"), so check out the wisdom from Seth Klarman and other investing greats in our related posts below. You can also go straight to Ronald Redfield's Margin of Safety book notes .    Related posts: 1. Seth Klarman interviews and Margin of Safety notes     2. Seth Klarman: Lessons from 2008 3. Investing Lessons from Sir John Templeton 4. ...