Skip to main content

What's up with Yahoo Finance?

Has anybody tried using the Yahoo! Finance site lately? It flat out sucks.

I used to visit the site all the time, as it was a convenient location for basic stock market info and quotes.

Yes, the fundamental information in the stock profiles was notoriously unreliable, but it was a good place to go for quotes, company news, and creating and storing personalized stock watch lists.

I started visiting the site less frequently a couple years ago, so I was only mildly disturbed by the site's increased suckiness and its change-for-the-sake-of-change site redesigns. I figured that as long as my Watch Lists (now renamed, "My Portfolios") and other basic market data were there, I'd use those features and ignore the rest.

The problem is that the whole site is now totally unappealing to many of the original users (myself included, obviously), as it's been transformed from a dominant user portal for stock market information into a ghetto of cutesy personal finance claptrap.

Apparently, many new users like the "new" Yahoo! Finance. I guess this reveals their taste for self-promoting personal finance gurus who take the seminar stage and preach personal "empowerment" and enlightenment (audio books and DVDs help), a la Wayne Dyer, Tony Robbins, and Matt Foley. They're certainly in abundance on the "new and improved" site. But I digress...

Back to the site features. As I came to find out the other day, even the very basic (and previously useful) stock symbol lookup tool no longer works! Thankfully, I was able to find a working version of the previous symbol lookup over at Yahoo! Finance Singapore. Save this link, you may need it.

In the meantime, I'll have to revisit some of my other options for quotes, watch lists, and market data. I used to be familiar with a number of sites serving this area, but so much has changed in the last couple of years, I'm not quite sure what's out there now.

I've seen Google Finance, and use it for a few simple features, but I think they still have a way to go with developing that site into something more powerful and useful.

In the meantime, if you have any recommendations for some good market data websites, we'll be glad to hear them.

Update: (November 20, 2007). Symbol lookup at Yahoo! Finance's US site is now working fine. Glad to see this fixed as it is a much needed, and frequently used, feature.

Popular posts from this blog

How to "Pull the Trigger" on Your Trading Ideas

In our last post, I quoted hedge fund manager, Jim Leitner on the importance of following up on your investment ideas.  Today I'd like to follow up and share some thoughts on how you can learn to consistently "pull the trigger" on your best trading setups and investing ideas. In order to help you do that, we'll take from the best and offer up key insights from interviews with top traders and trading psychologists like Alan Farley, Brett Steenbarger, and Doug Hirschhorn .  Now before we get to their key insights on overcoming trading anxiety and pulling the trigger on your trading ideas, let's remember what Jim Leitner said in his interview: "Learn to love to listen to people and when you hear something interesting, follow up on it. Don't just think, "Well that's an interesting idea" only to find out a year later that the company you could've bought shares in is now up 500-fold. You never want to say woulda, coulda, shoulda...

Market Wizard, Steve Clark on Trading: Grow Your Equity Curve

Trading wisdom recap: Steve Clark , founder of Omni Partners, was featured in Jack Schwager's 2012 book, Hedge Fund Market Wizards .  Clark's interview with Schwager provided us with some valuable trading insights; "Lessons from Hedge Fund Market Wizards: Steve Clark" was one of our most popular posts ever. If I had to pick my favorite sections from Clark's chapter, it would be boiled down to these two concepts: "Do more of what works (and less of what doesn't work)" and "Manage your equity curve". Here's his full quote on the supreme importance of growing your equity curve :  "Your job as a trader is to make the line of your equity curve go from bottom left to top right. That's it. Don't get hung up on other supposed "mandates". Protect your capital and the direction of that equity line. "   I will leave you with one last series of quotes from Steve Clark's interview with Jack Schwager. ...

Seth Klarman: Margin of Safety (pdf)

Welcome, readers! Signup for free email updates at the Finance Trends Newsletter . Update: PDF links removed due to DMCA notice. Please see our extensive Klarman book notes below. New visitors, please check the Finance Trends home page for all new posts. Here's something for anyone who has been trying to get a look at Seth Klarman's now famous, and out of print, 1991 investment book, Margin of Safety .  My knowledge of value investing is pretty much limited to what I've read in Ben Graham's The Intelligent Investor (the book which originally popularized the investment concept of a "Margin of Safety"), so check out the wisdom from Seth Klarman and other investing greats in our related posts below. You can also go straight to Ronald Redfield's Margin of Safety book notes .    Related posts: 1. Seth Klarman interviews and Margin of Safety notes     2. Seth Klarman: Lessons from 2008 3. Investing Lessons from Sir John Templeton 4. ...