Skip to main content

Do Finance Trends Matter?

Today I'm going to pose a simple question to you, the reader. Why do you read Finance Trends Matter?

Now, you don't have to answer this question, but thinking about it might help us all figure out what we're doing here on this blog. It may also help us understand why people spend time on any finance or investing blog, and what we hope to take away from our visits.

Do we visit investing and finance blogs in search of education, uncovering investment ideas, entertainment, or fellowship with other readers? What motivates us, the reportedly small percentage of web-browsing folks who count themselves as blog readers, to visit sites such as this?

In order to better understand this issue, I will point the question back to myself. Why do I write this stuff? What is the purpose behind Finance Trends Matter?

I started Finance Trends as a new outlet for sharing my thoughts and notes on financial news, world events and culture, and investing. Since I started writing the blog, I've found that it also serves as a journal that helps me record and clarify my thoughts on any number of issues.

The articles that I originally posted and commented on helped me to organize and record a growing stack of news clippings and article notes related to the economy, energy, commodities, precious metals, and the world's stock markets. The posts also helped me to hone my blogging and writing skills in between article submissions to Financial Sense Online and Safehaven.com.

Over time this blog has evolved a bit, from a kind of free-form journal of business and world events stories, to more of a "bigger picture", trend-focused site. The level of information available to us today is unprecedented; it's easy to get lost in the noise of daily events and a 24-hour news cycle. This is why we try to limit our intake of general mainstream news/gossip, and instead, focus on what's important to us.

As I mentioned in last year's radio interview with Financial Blog Watch, we find it crucial to selectively sift and choose the information we receive daily, and organize it in a way that helps us understand more about the markets and our world. That's what we try to do here.

You'll still find all the big news and off-beat, fascinating, and often-overlooked items that came before, only now I try harder than ever to connect these disparate stories and themes together so that we can step back and place these items into the grand scheme of things.

I think we'll also continue to branch out a bit, and look more at the non-finance side of life. You're likely to find more articles here on freedom, art, culture, music, and other great things. Of course, we'll relate these back to our main themes whenever relevant!

But enough about me and why I write this site. What I really want to know is: are you getting what you want out of Finance Trends Matter?

Tell us what you think we should be doing to improve the site. What would you like to see more of? Are there any special features we might add or topics you'd like to know more about?

Maybe you have some ideas on how we can create more value or reach others who haven't seen this site, or don't read finance blogs in general. I am always interested to hear what our friends and readers (in over 80 countries) have to say.

Thanks for your ideas, and for reading Finance Trends Matter!

Popular posts from this blog

How to "Pull the Trigger" on Your Trading Ideas

In our last post, I quoted hedge fund manager, Jim Leitner on the importance of following up on your investment ideas.  Today I'd like to follow up and share some thoughts on how you can learn to consistently "pull the trigger" on your best trading setups and investing ideas. In order to help you do that, we'll take from the best and offer up key insights from interviews with top traders and trading psychologists like Alan Farley, Brett Steenbarger, and Doug Hirschhorn .  Now before we get to their key insights on overcoming trading anxiety and pulling the trigger on your trading ideas, let's remember what Jim Leitner said in his interview: "Learn to love to listen to people and when you hear something interesting, follow up on it. Don't just think, "Well that's an interesting idea" only to find out a year later that the company you could've bought shares in is now up 500-fold. You never want to say woulda, coulda, shoulda...

Market Wizard, Steve Clark on Trading: Grow Your Equity Curve

Trading wisdom recap: Steve Clark , founder of Omni Partners, was featured in Jack Schwager's 2012 book, Hedge Fund Market Wizards .  Clark's interview with Schwager provided us with some valuable trading insights; "Lessons from Hedge Fund Market Wizards: Steve Clark" was one of our most popular posts ever. If I had to pick my favorite sections from Clark's chapter, it would be boiled down to these two concepts: "Do more of what works (and less of what doesn't work)" and "Manage your equity curve". Here's his full quote on the supreme importance of growing your equity curve :  "Your job as a trader is to make the line of your equity curve go from bottom left to top right. That's it. Don't get hung up on other supposed "mandates". Protect your capital and the direction of that equity line. "   I will leave you with one last series of quotes from Steve Clark's interview with Jack Schwager. ...

Seth Klarman: Margin of Safety (pdf)

Welcome, readers! Signup for free email updates at the Finance Trends Newsletter . Update: PDF links removed due to DMCA notice. Please see our extensive Klarman book notes below. New visitors, please check the Finance Trends home page for all new posts. Here's something for anyone who has been trying to get a look at Seth Klarman's now famous, and out of print, 1991 investment book, Margin of Safety .  My knowledge of value investing is pretty much limited to what I've read in Ben Graham's The Intelligent Investor (the book which originally popularized the investment concept of a "Margin of Safety"), so check out the wisdom from Seth Klarman and other investing greats in our related posts below. You can also go straight to Ronald Redfield's Margin of Safety book notes .    Related posts: 1. Seth Klarman interviews and Margin of Safety notes     2. Seth Klarman: Lessons from 2008 3. Investing Lessons from Sir John Templeton 4. ...