Skip to main content

Goldman, Blankfein seek damage control

If you were tuned in to Bloomberg TV this past week, you probably caught Lloyd Blankfein on the Charlie Rose Show, as I did on Sunday.

Surprised to say I sat through most of it, considering I heard others who said they couldn't make it through 15 minutes of the guy's speil. I won't rehash for you here; if you're interested, take a look at the video link above.

I will say that while I was largely unimpressed with the broad details of the SEC's case against Goldman Sachs (and the political circus that quickly surrounded it), I also got the feeling that Blankfein was, at times, making some rather spurious arguments in his PR performance at Rose's table (Charlie is a friend of Warren Buffett's and the re-runs of Blankfein's spot coinciding with Buffett's defense of Goldman and Blankfein at the Berkshire Hathaway annual shareholders' meeting are no coincidence).

For some rather frank discussion of the problems facing Goldman Sachs (and other large, money center banks), may I recommend listening to the following recent interviews with James Rickards and Bill Laggner on the Eric King broadcast (Hat tip to Controlled Greed).

As Rickards notes in his discussion with Eric King, Goldman may be facing a very real danger from the recent blows to its reputation. And as Keith McCullough at Hedgeye points out, reputational risk is not something you can fix in a New York minute.

Popular posts from this blog

How to "Pull the Trigger" on Your Trading Ideas

In our last post, I quoted hedge fund manager, Jim Leitner on the importance of following up on your investment ideas.  Today I'd like to follow up and share some thoughts on how you can learn to consistently "pull the trigger" on your best trading setups and investing ideas. In order to help you do that, we'll take from the best and offer up key insights from interviews with top traders and trading psychologists like Alan Farley, Brett Steenbarger, and Doug Hirschhorn .  Now before we get to their key insights on overcoming trading anxiety and pulling the trigger on your trading ideas, let's remember what Jim Leitner said in his interview: "Learn to love to listen to people and when you hear something interesting, follow up on it. Don't just think, "Well that's an interesting idea" only to find out a year later that the company you could've bought shares in is now up 500-fold. You never want to say woulda, coulda, shoulda...

Market Wizard, Steve Clark on Trading: Grow Your Equity Curve

Trading wisdom recap: Steve Clark , founder of Omni Partners, was featured in Jack Schwager's 2012 book, Hedge Fund Market Wizards .  Clark's interview with Schwager provided us with some valuable trading insights; "Lessons from Hedge Fund Market Wizards: Steve Clark" was one of our most popular posts ever. If I had to pick my favorite sections from Clark's chapter, it would be boiled down to these two concepts: "Do more of what works (and less of what doesn't work)" and "Manage your equity curve". Here's his full quote on the supreme importance of growing your equity curve :  "Your job as a trader is to make the line of your equity curve go from bottom left to top right. That's it. Don't get hung up on other supposed "mandates". Protect your capital and the direction of that equity line. "   I will leave you with one last series of quotes from Steve Clark's interview with Jack Schwager. ...

Seth Klarman: Margin of Safety (pdf)

Welcome, readers! Signup for free email updates at the Finance Trends Newsletter . Update: PDF links removed due to DMCA notice. Please see our extensive Klarman book notes below. New visitors, please check the Finance Trends home page for all new posts. Here's something for anyone who has been trying to get a look at Seth Klarman's now famous, and out of print, 1991 investment book, Margin of Safety .  My knowledge of value investing is pretty much limited to what I've read in Ben Graham's The Intelligent Investor (the book which originally popularized the investment concept of a "Margin of Safety"), so check out the wisdom from Seth Klarman and other investing greats in our related posts below. You can also go straight to Ronald Redfield's Margin of Safety book notes .    Related posts: 1. Seth Klarman interviews and Margin of Safety notes     2. Seth Klarman: Lessons from 2008 3. Investing Lessons from Sir John Templeton 4. ...