Skip to main content

On Being Wrong... and Profiting Anyway (Quotes and Wisdom)

Lessons on Being Wrong... and Profiting Anyway

While revisiting the 1996 documentary Triumph of the Nerds this week, I came upon this fantastic segment on Apple co-founder, Steve Jobs.

Finding it eminently quotable (and useful), I just had to share his thoughts from this special clip here.

"I don't really care about being right. I just care about success." - Steve Jobs




While Jobs was an entrepreneur in the emerging computer industry, and not an outright share investor or speculator, his quote about the relative unimportance of being right hit me right in the trader's gut.

Here is a game changing company founder saying, "you know what... I don't need to have the best forecasts or even the most original insights and innovations (hence the looting of Xerox's PARC). I don't need to always be right. I just want to ship the best products and win. That is what will ultimately make Apple the most successful company in our industry."  
Now anyone who has studied modern business and the art of the "pivot" will understand that success may not come through your original idea or business plan. It may be the second or third business model you pivot to that leads you to find your true purpose and success.

Traders and investors in the capital markets must soon realize that the need to be "right" while proving the markets wrong can lead you (and your investors) to disaster. I'm sure we can all think of some high profile cases, or our own experiences in the market, where such a scenario has unfolded.

So with that in mind, let's soak in some wisdom and see if we can change our attitudes and long held beliefs about being wrong. After all, no one is right all the time. Can we be wrong and find a way to learn and correct the situation?

 On Being Wrong and Learning or Profiting Anyway:

"It is better to be roughly right than precisely wrong." - John Maynard Keynes

“There are two kinds of forecasters: those who don’t know, and those who don’t know they don’t know.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

"It's not about whether you're wrong or right in this business, it's about how much you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Stan Druckenmiller, citing lessons from George Soros

"Really good traders are capable of changing their minds in an instant. They can be dogmatic in their opinion and then immediately change it." - Steve Clark, via Hedge Fund Market Wizards.

"The only thing to do when a person is wrong is to be right by ceasing to be wrong. Cut your losses quickly, without hesitation." - Jesse Livermore

"I became a winning trader when I was able to separate my ego needs from making money. When I was able to accept being wrong. Before, admitting I was wrong was more upsetting than losing money." - Marty Schwartz

"My stop loss method had two effects. It got me out of the wrong stock and into the right one." - Nicolas Darvas 

"Every day I assume every position I have is wrong. I know where my stop risk points are going to be. I do that so I can define my maximum drawdown." - Paul Tudor Jones

"I think there's a certain amount of humility with top traders. You have to make enough mistakes and learn to overcome them." - William O'Neil

"It is very important to know the edge of your own competency. You're a disaster if you don't know it." - Charlie Munger

"The type of thinking that is necessary to succeed in the markets is entirely different from the type of thinking required to succeed in school... Mistakes are a good thing. They provide an opportunity for learning." - Ray Dalio, via Hedge Fund Market Wizards

"A prudent speculator never argues with the tape. Markets are never wrong, opinions often are." - Jesse Livermore

"Speculation requires and teaches you to accept reality as it is, rather than reality as you would like to have it." - Rakesh Jhunjhunwala

"The best thing you can do as a trader or investor is learn to recognize and cut your losses. Due to our schooling system, we equate being wrong with losing points and esteem... In the markets, losing or making money is not about being right or wrong. We need to manage risk and stick with our process." - Brendan Moynihan, What I Learned Losing a Million Dollars

"Being wrong isn't a bad thing like they teach you in school. It is an opportunity to learn something." - Richard Feynman

"You can't use analysis to overcome fear of being wrong. More analysis will not produce better trading results." - Mark Douglas

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it." - Albert Einstein

"The best training ever for rigor and critical reasoning is trading. You can only survive long term by going against the wrong consensus by "experts"." - Nassim Taleb

"If you act in sync with the market, trading can make you rich. If you argue with the market it will surely make you poor." - Mark Minervini

"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid with regard to external things." - Epictetus

Can you think of an instance where you realized you were wrong, or changed your mind and then benefited or learned from the situation? Tell us about it!

Keep these quotes handy and share them with your friends and family.

Maybe you will help someone change their outlook (or your own) and profit by doing so!


Subscribe to the Finance Trends Newsletter - you'll get actionable trading ideas, investing lessons, and valuable market insights sent to your inbox. You can follow our real-time updates on Twitter.

Popular posts from this blog

How to "Pull the Trigger" on Your Trading Ideas

In our last post, I quoted hedge fund manager, Jim Leitner on the importance of following up on your investment ideas.  Today I'd like to follow up and share some thoughts on how you can learn to consistently "pull the trigger" on your best trading setups and investing ideas. In order to help you do that, we'll take from the best and offer up key insights from interviews with top traders and trading psychologists like Alan Farley, Brett Steenbarger, and Doug Hirschhorn .  Now before we get to their key insights on overcoming trading anxiety and pulling the trigger on your trading ideas, let's remember what Jim Leitner said in his interview: "Learn to love to listen to people and when you hear something interesting, follow up on it. Don't just think, "Well that's an interesting idea" only to find out a year later that the company you could've bought shares in is now up 500-fold. You never want to say woulda, coulda, shoulda...

Market Wizard, Steve Clark on Trading: Grow Your Equity Curve

Trading wisdom recap: Steve Clark , founder of Omni Partners, was featured in Jack Schwager's 2012 book, Hedge Fund Market Wizards .  Clark's interview with Schwager provided us with some valuable trading insights; "Lessons from Hedge Fund Market Wizards: Steve Clark" was one of our most popular posts ever. If I had to pick my favorite sections from Clark's chapter, it would be boiled down to these two concepts: "Do more of what works (and less of what doesn't work)" and "Manage your equity curve". Here's his full quote on the supreme importance of growing your equity curve :  "Your job as a trader is to make the line of your equity curve go from bottom left to top right. That's it. Don't get hung up on other supposed "mandates". Protect your capital and the direction of that equity line. "   I will leave you with one last series of quotes from Steve Clark's interview with Jack Schwager. ...

Seth Klarman: Margin of Safety (pdf)

Welcome, readers! Signup for free email updates at the Finance Trends Newsletter . Update: PDF links removed due to DMCA notice. Please see our extensive Klarman book notes below. New visitors, please check the Finance Trends home page for all new posts. Here's something for anyone who has been trying to get a look at Seth Klarman's now famous, and out of print, 1991 investment book, Margin of Safety .  My knowledge of value investing is pretty much limited to what I've read in Ben Graham's The Intelligent Investor (the book which originally popularized the investment concept of a "Margin of Safety"), so check out the wisdom from Seth Klarman and other investing greats in our related posts below. You can also go straight to Ronald Redfield's Margin of Safety book notes .    Related posts: 1. Seth Klarman interviews and Margin of Safety notes     2. Seth Klarman: Lessons from 2008 3. Investing Lessons from Sir John Templeton 4. ...